Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Undie 500

This Undie 500 thing is suppose to be the most happening thing of the whole uni year. After hearing about it for some time now, I wanted to know more about this Undie 500 thing. The only thing I know now is that there will be cars and people driving all the way from Christchurch to Dunedin and drinking all the way. I think the main idea is to get super drunk. I look at my management discussion board and there was this comment about students getting arrested at the 'party'. So obviously I very phat kua so i decided to checked out TVNZ's website as Merilyn said she read about the arrested episode at the website. TVNZ is the national tv here in NZ.

"About 25 of 67 people arrested were Canterbury University students, who were in town for the Undie 500 car rally." - TVNZ

So this gets more interesting..In order to know what is Undie 500 all about I read these few articles. Click here to read the articles and also to watch the video. Its pretty interesting. Then I went looking for pictures to put up in my post. I took the photo from the tv website.
You can look at more photos here. Its really interesting to see the 'creativity' of minds. Then I thought the articles does not really talk about the Undie enough, only about how the riot was disturbing and stuff- so I went to do a search on Undie 500 in wikipedia. And guess what?!@#$ there is an article about Undie 500. AM i surprise! I'll just copy and paste it here cause its just so interesting.

The Undie 500 is an annual car rally in New Zealand. Student members of the University of Canterbury Engineering Society (ENSOC) purchase used vehicles and drive from Christchurch to Dunedin. The vehicles are individually themed and occupants pub crawl over the entire day of driving. The event is characterised by the high level of work performed on entrants cars transforming them from normal motor vehicles into something else.

Cars are understood to have a cost of under $500 (hence the name Undie (under) 500) and stop at nominated pubs and bars on the drive south. All cars must have a current warrant of fitness and registration and must be driven by a sober driver at all times. The New Zealand police accompany the convoy throughout the trip ensuring the safety for participants.

In recent years the number of entrants has been limited due to the visited pubs unable to handle the sudden influx of patrons. The annual event continues to attract more than 1,000 participants and thousands of spectators. It is one of the largest on the New Zealand student calendar. - Wikipedia

Now I am so much clearer on things. I wanted to know more about this year's Undie so I click on the link (ENSOC's Undie 500 Link) and got this:

Introduction

The Undie 500 needs no intrduction. Undoubtly Ensoc's greatest hour, a marvel of organisation, and the one event you talk about most yet remember the least, oh well thats what photos are for.

ENSOC Undie 500 2006 in association with V

"The Ride of your life!"

When: Friday 18th August
Time: Car Park opens at 10:00am
Requirements: Car for under $500, must have current warrant and registration, sober driver
Registration: At ENSOC Shop from Thursday 3rd August (1 - 2pm)
Cost: $10 for members, $20 for non-members
Prizes for: Best dressed, best dressed car, most politically incorrect, best
overall
Prize value: Pay off your Car (i.e. $500 Cash)

Limited to 150 Cars so won't last long.

2006 Extra Details:

Just a few rules so so we don't get in the crap on the day:
- All airborne objects INCLUDING EGGS are banned. The police may inforce this.
- There will be breath testing on the way. Don't drink drive!
- All passengers respect your driver! Without them it would be a bloody boring bus trip. Make it up to them when you get down to Dunners.
- All cars MUST be road legal (WOF + Rego) ON THE DAY. You won't be allowed in if not.
- In previous years we have been fined for littering. Littering is illegal! If ENSOC gets fined, it comes out of YOUR fun and pockets.

Have an awesome day but stick to the rules and don't be a fool.

Lots of love,
ENSOC

I think this Undie thing is so interesting..I think its quite normal that the extra details wasn't read. Audrey got hit by an egg when she went to the car park to see what was it like. I guess there was littering otherwise there wouldnt be this:
Otaga's student very rajin!


phat kua - busybody (cantonese)
rajin - hardworking

No comments: