Tuesday, July 31, 2007

God first?

From when I started going to church, Sunday School teachers, youth teachers and elders always said that God should be first in your life.

However, one might argue. What about studies? Like I was talking with this friend of mine:

Discussing about going for a church event (eg youth group)
Friend: Don't want to go la.. Need to study..
Me: Aren't you suppose to put God first in your life?
Friend: Yeah but have to study mah..Cannot fail also.
Me: Yeah but isn't God suppose to be first in your life?
After some back and forth sentences like the previous..
Friend: *milok*

Do you get it? I agree with both my friend and me. This is really a dilemma for me.

I can guess one could also argue that if you organize your timetable you would be able to balance both God and study. However, lets say you were planning to study tonight for tomorrow's test/exam. But there was an impromptu meeting at church.

If it was really something that you wanted to go, you can always argue that God comes first so can go. On the other hand, the Bible didn't say anything about it being compulsory to go for these sort of meeting. I think I'm confusing me self.


The thing is I have seen Christian parents who don't allow their child to go to youth group just because its exam week. I have seen dedicated Christian friends who does the same thing.

I guess there is a fine line drawn between this two. I also guess that there can never be a final conclusion. What do you think?

3 comments:

Rachael Lai said...

Well, if it was me, i guess if i know that there would be such meeting coming up, i would study earlier for the test/exam. Then, the night before i could attend the meeting.

Okay, even if the meeting was impromptu, it's always better studying ahead lo. Then, whenever such things abruptly pops out, you wouldn't feel so perplexed.

I guess. That would prolly what would i do lo.

glo teng said...

if anyone lacks wisdom, ask God, and He who gives generously will give you wisdom :p somewhere in James lar. haha..

pray ler ;) go for that meeting if you feel that you have to go to.

it's not an obligation or what kan?

besides,, putting God first doesn't only mean going to church or some meetings whatsoever :p putting God first also means that in whatever decisions you make, in your speech, action, behaviour, thoughts yada yada, is God present? :) is God there? how abt spending quiet time with Him daily? :p

and the higher level in uni, the more work you have.. so there's really a need to have a balance of things ler ;) it's really hard for me too, coz i want to be involved in so many things.. but time is so scarce.. so gotta say no and say yes to different meetings and such..

God also wants you to do well in ur studies mar kan? :D

mm.. just my two cents.. hope it helps in any way :p

peebs said...

thanks. both of you.