I did something this morning that scares me a little. I clicked follow on somebody's social media. Scary because I'm hoping it leads to something more but then again not really wanting to upheaval my current life. Maybe I'm just making a molehill out of nothing.
I've been busy with editing and proofreading this past two weeks. It's good because I have something to occupy my time. Joanna and I have this pact to fast. Her to fast from all sorts of drinks and me to fast from all dramas/series/TV/Youtube for one month. This is only the second week. So being busy is good. It all came about because we were talking about our lives and how I'm waiting for a husband. She has been praying for one for me. Especially for one who lives in Rolleston. This is the biggest thing a friend has ever done for me. Honoured and scared at the same time. I've even downloaded a dating app. That is on snooze for now though. Don't have the time to swipe and update my profile. Or am I just avoiding it?
As humans, nobody likes change. We like to be comfortable. Nobody touching our territory or shaking it.
The secondary thing to why I agreed to fast was so that I can concentrate on building a relationship with God. I do have more time on my hands now as my life is not consume with finding out what happens next with fictional characters. I try to take time off to just not do anything. To talk to God. To reflect on what have been happening. To pray for other people.
And what is amazing is that this was the things we were talking about at supervision. God is amazing. I got given a gym membership voucher that lasts for three months. So that was the exercising part. I don't particularly enjoy it and I've come to realise (through supervision) that it actually doesn't bring me the satisfaction that one has from exercising. It isn't as if I was expecting there to be this big sigh of satisfaction - I thought I would be sleeping better but not really. It did help somewhat in the first week but I think I am getting to bogged down by work to be sleeping peacefully this week.
My mind is full of things that needs to be done for the 6 events plus the normal Sundays we will be having and the Father's Day Family Service. Not to mention the upcoming family holiday (tidying up and logistics) and the five weeks of CNY holiday. And my side job of dog sitting.
I have also been listening to Chinese songs non-stop since bingeing on these dramas. I can say my Mandarin has improved. Knowing all these useless romantic things. Haha.
Part of going to the gym has got me listening to more podcasts. I was already listening to ABG and what they're going through really resonates with me. I enjoy listening them talk and interview other ABGs. I like their vulnerability on the show and the similarities we have navigating a non-Asian country as an Asian woman in her 30s. The latest episode I'm listening to was in honour of Father's Day and this led them to share how growing up with their dads was like. It's so interesting! I want to do a blog post on that and share about my own father and my experience too. It's somewhere on my list of to-dos.
I was just browsing around yesterday and was listening to Carey Nieuwhof talked about cynicism (this was pointed out to me during my annual review that I was getting to be a cynic and to watch out) and the antidote to it. I want to get his book that talks about it. I am definitely a cynic. And I definitely have to work that out. Was also listening to Peter Scazerro on being an emotionally healthy leader and how what we experience in the past leads us to lead people the way we do at this moment right now. Also, so interesting!
I have also started going for supervision. It does help. I'm glad I do it. I also enjoy being able to just say what is on my mind and not having to watch out for what I say. Or who I say it to.
Bible Study is another thing on my mind. There's Inside Out and there's WBS. I feel like IO is more practical and I do learn things. (Latest thing being everything in moderation - discipline important in a Christian's walk of life) WBS is more open ended but I also enjoy the company more in a way and I also do learn from there, just different kinda things.
I have also been fangirling over an actor. It's a bit embarrassing. Haha. Never would I ever have thought that I would be so into Mandarin speaking dramas and actors.
Work has a lot of extra things in addition to the normal weekly things we do. Small boss had to take up the Food Fair. I'm involved in almost all of the 6 anniversary events plus two two side projects.
How do I not think?
I think that's why I have been addicted to these dramas. It provides a place to escape and to not think. As I have to really concentrate as it's in a language that I am not familiar with. I do end up with it being in my head all the other times. It's hard to get out of once I've completely immersed my whole life in it. I know shouldn't be depending on TV because I should be leaning on God instead. And I guess I have replaced food with dramas. I used to eat fatty food when I'm stress. I still do it but not as much. Especially since I'm also doing the 16/8 fasting thing. My drama obsession started about 1.5 months ago and I've probably watched about 6 different series over that time. And I still have two more weeks of fasting to go.
So all of these have been happening over the past two weeks. All of these have been keeping me awake at 3am.
As humans, nobody likes change. We like to be comfortable. Nobody touching our territory or shaking it.
The secondary thing to why I agreed to fast was so that I can concentrate on building a relationship with God. I do have more time on my hands now as my life is not consume with finding out what happens next with fictional characters. I try to take time off to just not do anything. To talk to God. To reflect on what have been happening. To pray for other people.
And what is amazing is that this was the things we were talking about at supervision. God is amazing. I got given a gym membership voucher that lasts for three months. So that was the exercising part. I don't particularly enjoy it and I've come to realise (through supervision) that it actually doesn't bring me the satisfaction that one has from exercising. It isn't as if I was expecting there to be this big sigh of satisfaction - I thought I would be sleeping better but not really. It did help somewhat in the first week but I think I am getting to bogged down by work to be sleeping peacefully this week.
My mind is full of things that needs to be done for the 6 events plus the normal Sundays we will be having and the Father's Day Family Service. Not to mention the upcoming family holiday (tidying up and logistics) and the five weeks of CNY holiday. And my side job of dog sitting.
I have also been listening to Chinese songs non-stop since bingeing on these dramas. I can say my Mandarin has improved. Knowing all these useless romantic things. Haha.
Part of going to the gym has got me listening to more podcasts. I was already listening to ABG and what they're going through really resonates with me. I enjoy listening them talk and interview other ABGs. I like their vulnerability on the show and the similarities we have navigating a non-Asian country as an Asian woman in her 30s. The latest episode I'm listening to was in honour of Father's Day and this led them to share how growing up with their dads was like. It's so interesting! I want to do a blog post on that and share about my own father and my experience too. It's somewhere on my list of to-dos.
I was just browsing around yesterday and was listening to Carey Nieuwhof talked about cynicism (this was pointed out to me during my annual review that I was getting to be a cynic and to watch out) and the antidote to it. I want to get his book that talks about it. I am definitely a cynic. And I definitely have to work that out. Was also listening to Peter Scazerro on being an emotionally healthy leader and how what we experience in the past leads us to lead people the way we do at this moment right now. Also, so interesting!
I have also started going for supervision. It does help. I'm glad I do it. I also enjoy being able to just say what is on my mind and not having to watch out for what I say. Or who I say it to.
Bible Study is another thing on my mind. There's Inside Out and there's WBS. I feel like IO is more practical and I do learn things. (Latest thing being everything in moderation - discipline important in a Christian's walk of life) WBS is more open ended but I also enjoy the company more in a way and I also do learn from there, just different kinda things.
I have also been fangirling over an actor. It's a bit embarrassing. Haha. Never would I ever have thought that I would be so into Mandarin speaking dramas and actors.
Work has a lot of extra things in addition to the normal weekly things we do. Small boss had to take up the Food Fair. I'm involved in almost all of the 6 anniversary events plus two two side projects.
How do I not think?
I think that's why I have been addicted to these dramas. It provides a place to escape and to not think. As I have to really concentrate as it's in a language that I am not familiar with. I do end up with it being in my head all the other times. It's hard to get out of once I've completely immersed my whole life in it. I know shouldn't be depending on TV because I should be leaning on God instead. And I guess I have replaced food with dramas. I used to eat fatty food when I'm stress. I still do it but not as much. Especially since I'm also doing the 16/8 fasting thing. My drama obsession started about 1.5 months ago and I've probably watched about 6 different series over that time. And I still have two more weeks of fasting to go.
So all of these have been happening over the past two weeks. All of these have been keeping me awake at 3am.
No comments:
Post a Comment