Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Deaths.

So far, there have been five deaths in my family in just this 12 months period. There was my three uncles (who was married to my mother's sisters), then my dad, and just recently my aunty (my mother's sister).

So far, I only have one 'uncle-in-law' left. The wife of this uncle-in-law passed away of 3rd stage cancer last Saturday. I only found out on Monday afternoon. Technically my brother sent me an offline message on MSN on Sunday night but I only switch on my laptop on Monday afternoon.

The funeral is today (Wednesday). Everybody (okay not everybody) is in Taiping. Quite coincidentally it coincides with the school holidays. My mum and gang are coming back today so I might give her a call. But its always hard to find the time to call. Every time I want to call, I'm either very tired to wait or my mum is not at home.

And I got news that a church friend's mother is in ICU. I feel so numb now that I've gone through so many funerals. Not that I went for the three uncles or my aunt. But I was in Malaysia when two deaths happened.

When my uncle passed away in January, it was interesting. My mum was sort of scolding the person who called so early (at 7am!!) because it was a Saturday. After she finished talking, she started calling her niece in JB who will then inform the people in Singapore. Of course she told me first but by then I already guessed judging by her conversation on the phone. I wasn't eavesdropping! We sleep in the same room and she was disturbing my sleep as well, what can I do?


Then my mum continued calling the people in PJ area. Interesting how news pass around so fast. Imagine if we don't have telephones? What in the world would we do. And all this happen like the week after everybody went back to their own places (eg Taiping & Singapore). So for that period of one month or so, I actually saw more of my Taiping aunt than I would normally would.

My mum kept changing her mind to make pineapple tarts. Her mother-in-law kept calling to say that she "can't" make any biscuits. Some Chinese 'pantang'. So my mum was indecisive during that whole CNY period. At first she didn't want to. But because she wanted to eat for herself, she thought she would make one packet. However, she changed her mind again because she was lazy. It went for one more round before she actually decided not to make it.

I wonder did she make it after I came back to NZ?

some pictures to entertain you..
en + caitlin
isn't that cute? i'm referring to en not you cait! :P

caitlin + emma
i know.. both of us look so cute

en + emma
we both have the same type of pillowcases =)


Dictionary
uncle-in-law - the men who are/were married to my mother's sister
pantang - Chinese belief
CNY - Chinese New Year

3 comments:

Paul Long said...

It is part of "my job" to deal with death. In my short time as a pastor / FTWer (whatever ...) I minister to the sick a lot, the old and frail and also the terminally ill up close and personal. Yeah and I do funerals as well.

My theology and hope in God is firm BUT I still am not and will not get used to death. It drains me emotionally ...

Sorry to hear of more sad news in your family

jazz said...

Be strong! :)

Kah Yee 嘉儿 said...

Emma, death is actually part and parcel of our life. I know that it's hard to accept the fact that someone has left us behind. However, we have to deal with this. Girl, you're very strong in my eyes. I know that you can handle it.